What Is a Level Walker?
Level Walkers are C&O Canal Association volunteers who are assigned one or more sections of the canal to walk on a regular basis, monitoring the status of historic structures, checking facilities, reporting any problems to NPS, and removing trash. The towpath is 184.5 miles long. The park service is understaffed. They welcome the Association’s help to keep the towpath in good condition. This is a wonderful way to enjoy the canal while helping to maintain it. Level walkers must be:
- Members of the C&O Canal Association
- Willing and able to carry out Level Walker duties
- Signed to an annual Volunteer Service Agreement with the National Park Service
If you want to become a Level Walker, the Level Walker chair will assign you a level, taking into consideration your preferences for the length of the level, location of the level, and special interests.
- Download the application in PDF format, or
- Email our Level Walker chair at email@example.com