Catoctin Aqueduct, originally constructed in 1832-1834, consists of three arches and is the third of the eleven aqueducts in the C&O Canal National Historical Park. It is located at Mile 51 between Lock 29 at Lander and the Town of Brunswick. A local flood on October 31, 1973, caused the center and upstream arches of the aqueduct to collapse.
On December 4, 2005, the C&O Canal Association joined a partnership of organizations supporting the restoration of this aqueduct. The partners agreed to work together to raise the funds required for the planning, design, and construction necessary to rehabilitate the structure. A contract was awarded in 2009. The restored aqueduct was dedicated on October 15, 2011.
The C&O Canal Association donated $55,000. After an appeal for funds in our March 2006 newsletter to support this project, individual members of the C&O Canal Association donated an additional $12,585 resulting in a total of $67,585.($25,000 of the association’s donation was a portion of the $100,000 Widewater Challenge Grant issued by John and Carol Kimbrough through their Foundation of the Carolinas. When the park service’s budget included Widewater rehabilitation funds, the Kimbroughs, members of the association, permitted us to apply the grant to other association projects.)
(Updated November 2018.)