In May 2010 the park opened a seasonal visitor center at Hancock, MD in the Bowles House, a historic three-story brick home. Over the years there were three owners of the property. William Yates built the first floor in 1780, William Bowles added the second and third floors and the four porches in the late 1800s while Miss Pauline Little, the last owner, sold the property to the park service in 1976. The home overlooks the canal between Locks 51 (Mile 122.59) and 52 (Mile 122.89) and is close to the Tonoloway Creek Aqueduct (Mile 122.96).
On November 13, 2016, the Association donated $9,013 to the park service to cover the cost of painting all four porches.
Association members involved: Jim Heins and Rita Bauman
(Updated October 2018.)